The Adventures of Don Chapman

I lead an exciting life.

Friday, September 05, 2008

Strings on Jeremy Camp's New CD


A few weeks ago I got this random email from Brown Bannister that said something like "do you have time to orchestrate a track - I need it in a few days." I happened to be in Nashville visiting Chris Sligh so we went over to Brown's studio. On the way I said "he probably wants me to do a demo or something." Chris replied "Brown doesn't do demos."


In the studio, Brown showed us his copy of the just-released 20th anniversary edition of Amy Grant's Lead Me On. I can't believe it's been 20 years!! I remember reading back then in the liner notes that one of the tracks had a Synclavier piano and I was amazed. A synthesized piano that sounds that good? Wow! What's funny is, 20 years later, the sound of my software piano from TruePianos.com sounds way better. Plus, TruePianos cost $180.00 and the Synclavier cost at least $200,000.00 (that's not a typo!)

After some chit chat, Brown says, "so, I have this Jeremy Camp track I need strings for..." and I, of course, nearly wet my pants! He told me a little bit of what he wanted, burned me the track and I got in my car and raced back home to Greenville.

Importing the track into Sonar, I started playing around with some strings and we emailed back and forth until Brown was happy with the arrangement. Four days later I went back to Nashville for the most exciting session of my life - 5 violins, 2 violas and 2 cellos - a 9 piece studio strings section stacked two times for a rich, full sound.

Brown said "can you conduct?" I said "sure" and mentally retrieved my conducting class from college LOL! Arranger Philip Keveren, who had arranged strings for two songs at the same session, was kind enough to let me use his baton.

Since I had previously done a syth mockup of the strings, I knew how everything would sound and the session, thankfully, went off without a hitch. You don't want to be sitting there with 9 highly-hourly-paid session players in a high-dollar studio (1st Avenue in Franklin) trying to figure out what's wrong with your charts!

I worked on Jeremy's new song I Know Who I Am which is on his upcoming CD. The last I heard it's coming out this November 2008. One of the songs Philip arranged is called You Will Be There and it has a very cool vibe to it.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:17 PM , Blogger Vikki said...

    This is so cool - can't wait to hear the song on the RADIO! You are awesome.

     
  • At 10:01 AM , Blogger Scott Shaw said...

    Don -
    What a small world. I was reading my PraiseCharts email today and it said we welcome Don Chapman to the PraiseChart family. Wait a minute, I know a Don Chapman from SC he used to work with Rex at his church. Not sure if you remember me... it's been awhile, but I'm an old college buddy of Rex's.

    Anyway, out here in Washington state now as a worship pastor. I like your Christmas Hymnchart arrangements. Finally, some fresh charts for Christmas that preserve the original melody and don't sound cheesy. Thanks!

    The recordings are nice, too. Is that Chris on there? Rex mentioned he knew him from church.
    If your interested here's our family blog web.mac.come/alisashaw and our church website: www.livethecall.org

    -Scott Shaw

     
  • At 11:28 AM , Blogger Margaret Gasperson said...

    Don,
    I have been receiving your worship eletter for a number of years now. I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your very practical and useful articles. I have a background in worship and music, and until last December, led a very contemporary worship band for 8 years at a church plant. I spent a lot of time organizing and planning the service, raising up and mentoring worship leaders, band members, sound techs, etc. I frequently used your articles to teach and equip. I also forward them often to those contacting me for worship resources.
    You also have great insights into the traditional, blended and contemporary....not putting any of them down, but knowing what works well in each setting.
    It was rewarding to read about your experience playing with New Spring. My desire was to bring our people into an intimate experience with Christ, and to do it with excellence. As I read about the preparation, practice, and what they did the day of worship, it was also how we did things at our church. (We just couldn't afford those in-ear monitors:)!) Although we were only a church of 250, we had an incredible band, who worked together as a team. Excellence in all that you do off the stage translates into an incredible worship experience when you are on the stage.
    Thanks again for taking the time and investing in worship leaders. It has helped more than you know.

     
  • At 6:45 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi Don,
    wow, can't wait to hear the new album, I like Jeremy Camp a lot!!

    I will pay attention to the string arrangements. Keep up the great work (:

    ed

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home